Natural Sciences (MS) - Geosciences Track
Program of Study
|Area 1 Program Core|
|ENGL 5149G||Grant Writing||3|
|Area 1 Total||3|
|Area 2 Program Requirements|
|Select the following courses (unless an equivalent course was taken at the undergraduate level):||6-17|
|Current Research in the Geosciences|
|Graduate Seminar (may be repeated for credit)|
|Electives - Select 4-15 credits from the following: 1||4-15|
|Global and Climate Change|
|The Geology of Georgia|
|Water Resources Management|
|Physical Anthropology and Archeology|
|Selected Topics in Geology|
|Graduate Seminar (maximum of 6 credits may be applied to Area 2)|
|GEOL 6000||Comprehensive Exam 2||0|
|Area 2 Total||21|
|Area 3 Program Requirements|
|GEOL 6005||Thesis Defense||0|
|Select the following for a total of 12 credits:||12|
|Area 3 Total||12|
|Total Credit Hours||36|
Equivalent courses taken at the undergraduate level may not be repeated for credit.
Students must pass GEOL 6000 Comprehensive Exam, which should be taken after completion of at least 18 hours of graduate level coursework.
In addition to the Columbus State University Graduate School Admissions requirements, all interested applicants must submit the following materials to be considered for admission for all tracks in the Natural Sciences program.
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university, demonstrated excellent preparation in the Biological, Chemical, Environmental and/or Geological Sciences or permission of the program director.
- Undergraduate grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- A minimum combined score of 290 on the verbal and quantitative portions of the Graduate Record Exam. The GRE must have been taken in the last five years.
- A one page statement of experience and interests.
- Two letters of reference. References should come from persons familiar with the applicant's academic or professional experience.
Additional Program Requirements
The maximum course load for a graduate student in a given semester is 12 semester hours. The maximum course load for a student holding a graduate assistantship is 10 semester hours. Students in the Geosciences track must complete a thesis as part of their degree requirements.