Elementary Education (MAT)
Program of Study
|Area 1 Professional Core|
|EDUF 6116||Educational Research Methods||3|
|ELEM 6156||Theories, Concepts, and Applications of Child Development||3|
|EDCI 6228||Foundations of Education - Special Education||3|
|Area 1 Total||9|
|Area 2 Teaching Field Studies|
|EDCI 6000||Induction into Elementary Education||0|
|EDRG 6118||Methods and Materials for Teaching Literacy P-5||3|
|ELEM 6159||Imagination, Curiosity, & Creativity in Teaching and Learning||3|
|ELEM 6166||Assessment Methodologies, Instruments, and Procedures in Elementary Education||3|
|ELEM 6125||Developing Mathematical Thinking in the Elementary Classroom||3|
|ELEM 6135||Developing Scientific Thinking in Young Children||3|
|ELEM 6145||Exploring the World with Young Learners||3|
|Area 2 Total||18|
|Area 3 Student Teaching|
|EDUC 6699||Teaching Residency and Classroom Management||3|
|Area 3 Total||3|
|Area 4 Other Requirements Required Hours|
|ELEM 6000||M.A.T. Exit Portfolio||0|
|Area 4 Total||0|
|Total Credit Hours||30|
- A minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 (regular admission) or 2.50 (provisional admission) on all undergraduate work at an accredited United States institution in fulfillment of the requirements for a baccalaureate degree.
- A passing score on the Elementary Education GACE Content
*Students enrolled in this MAT program must complete a minimum of supervised residency (student teaching) and/or practical experiences (totaling at least 300 clock hours) in at least two different settings, serving children of three different age groups (PK-K, 1-3, and 4-5) and with varying abilities. Students must contact our Center for Quality Teaching and Learning (CQTL) if they need help to secure a placement: https://www.columbusstate.edu/education-and-health-professions/cqtl/
*This program is offered entirely online
Teacher Education Admission Requirements
- Candidates must apply for Teacher Education during their first semester, after being admitted and starting classes.
- Admission to Teacher Education is completed through TK20. Candidates must have been admitted into the university and registered for courses at least two weeks before purchasing TK20. Information on Tk20 is located at: https://www.columbusstate.edu/education-and-health-professions/tk20.php
- Candidates must meet all requirements for admission to Teacher Education during their first semester of enrollment in the MAT program. For a list of requirements visit https://cqtl.columbusstate.edu/teacher-education.php
Additional Program Requirements
- Students must earn a 3.0 GPA calculated on all graduate work attempted. "Academic Forgiveness" policy does not apply to graduate studies
- Students cannot graduate with a grade of "C" in more than one (1) course.
- Courses earned with grades of "D" may not be used toward a graduate degree or certificate, but will be calculated in the overall grade point average.
- A minimum of 20 hours of the hours required for the degree must be earned in residence (⅔ of the required hours). Asynchronous (online) and distance learning courses administered through Columbus State University constitute courses taken in residence
- Transfer courses must be approved by the students’ advisor and program coordinator. Courses with earned grades of "C" or below cannot be transferred.
- All degree requirements must be completed within seven (7) years of first enrollment.